Underground Station



Underground Station

£35.95


The Underground Station

This little underground is based on Aldwych Station, which first opened in 1907 as Strand Station, originally as part of the Piccadilly line.  Being so close to many West End theatres, it gained the unofficial title of the Theatre Line.

During the Second World War the line was closed and the tunnels used as an air raid shelter and to store various national treasures from the British Museum, including the Elgin Marbles. This station was closed in 1994 due to falling passenger numbers.

Lots of people have claimed to have seen the ghost who haunts Aldwych station on the tracks at night, mainly by staff who clean the tunnels and stations. The ghost is believed to be an actress. Aldwych used to be on the site of the old Royal Strand Theatre.

Since 1994, the station has been used as a film set, as has featured in several feature films as well as British TV programmes.

This is the latest addition to our Heritage collection, launched in 2010 as part of our 20th Anniversary celebrations.

It measures 12.7cm (5″) tall.

Please note: This ceramic is one of our freestanding ceramics.  It is not designed to be wall hung alongside our Nation of Shopkeepers ceramics.