A Nation of Shopkeepers, celebrating Britain’s Buildings
25 Years of Hazle Ceramics
This year is our 25th year of creating our ceramics, and we are busy planning how, when and where to celebrate. So watch this space for for details, or join our email group to be the first in the know!
Located at 93, Jermyn Street, Paxton & Whitfield has been established in St James’s for over 200 years and in their present premises for over 100 years.
This quintessentially English cheesemonger, established in 1797 lays claim to supply the best Stilton in the kingdom. As Winston Churchill once famously said: “A gentleman only buys his cheese from Paxton & Whitfield”
Paxton and Whitfield were granted their first Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria, several more warrants followed, and today Paxton & Whitfield still supply cheese to our Royal Family.
Take a closer look at the beautifully hand painted window on this ceramic, the cheeses stand on their platters, just ready to be tasted, and the name and details on the fascia and windows are painted in pure gold.
Paxton and Whitefield is a limited edition of just 500 pieces. It measures 23.2cm (9 & 1/8″) tall to the top of the chimney x 10cm (4″) wide. To buy Paxton & Whitfield click here
221b’ Baker Street ‘home’ of the celebrated (fictitious -honestly!) criminal investigator, Sherlock Holmes and trusty colleague Dr. Watson. The ceramic is painted with Holmes playing the violin in the left hand upstairs window and his ‘hubble-bubble’ pipe in the right window. Mrs. Hudson’s (housekeeper) drawing room is on the ground floor. There are railings of cast metal and a metal lamp post. This is the first ceramic we have added metalwork to.
The building itself does exist – in Baker St. London and would probably have been a boarding house at the time Conan Doyle was creating Holmes – but it was not Number 221b. At present it is 221b and houses a ‘Museum’ dedicated to Sherlock Holmes ‘memorabilia’- in fact you would swear he lived there…
The Sherlock Holmes House measures 23.4cm (9 & 1/4″) tall to the top of the chimney x 9cm ( 3 & 1/2″) wide.
To order, please click here
Located in the High Street, Billiericay, Essex. The Chantry House was built around 1510 on the site of an earlier building erected to house the priest who served the Chantry Chapel (now St Mary Magdelen) in the 1340′s
Ship’s governor Christopher Martin, a vitualler of ships, owned the Chantry building and lived there until he sailed on the Mayflower with the Pilgrim Fathers to New England. As vitualler, he also supplied the food for the voyage. Sadly, he perished along with his wife Marie, Solomon Prower, and John Langemore shortly after their arrival at Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
The building has had many uses and changes of ownership over the years, and is currently a restaurant. On the front of our ceramic version, you will see the date of building, 1510. Drive past the real Chantry in Billericay, and you will see a different date… Local historians advise the date we use is the correct one.
The Chantry measures 16.9cm(6 & 3/4″) tall to the top of the chimney x 12.4cm (4 & 7/8″) wide.
To order, please click here